Raw Brownies with Pistachios & Goji Berries
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 50g Goji Berries
- 50g Cashews
- 50g Pistachios, shelled
- 3 Tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 Tablespoon raw honey
- 450g Medjool Dates, pitted
- 100g 85–100% dark chocolate
Wolfberry or Goji berry is one of the best-known and admired berries from China called Gou Qi or Kei Tze in Chinese. The wolfberry fruit was first recorded around 200 BCE, over 5 000 years ago in Shen Nong Ben Cao Jing, an ancient book about the medicinal and agricultural knowledge of the mythical Chinese emperor Shen Nong. Goji berries are chock-a-block with vitamins and anti-oxidants. Their impressive nutritional profile includes beta-carotene, Vitamins C, B1 and B2, lutein and lycopene.
- Pulse cashews in food processor until they resemble large breadcrumbs. Add dates, cacao powder, honey and coconut oil and blend again until mixture is very sticky. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl.
- In a separate dish crush pistachios, as you want them to be in larger chunks than the cashews.
- Add goji berries and crushed pistachios into the brownie mixture and stir together.
- Line a baking tray with cling film and spread mixture evenly across the tray.
- Melt the dark chocolate in a glass bowl over a pan of simmering water and then drizzle over the brownie mixture.
- Freeze for an hour until brownies are set.
- Transfer the brownie onto a cutting board and cut into bars